1. (Economics) an economic theory or system in which the means of production, distribution, and exchange are owned by the community collectively, usually through the state. It is characterized by production for use rather than profit, by equality of individual wealth, by the absence of competitive economic activity, and, usually, by government determination of investment, prices, and production levels Compare capitalism
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of various social or political theories or movements in which the common welfare is to be achieved through the establishment of a socialist economic system
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Leninist theory) a transitional stage after the proletarian revolution in the development of a society from capitalism to communism: characterized by the distribution of income according to work rather than need
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the practice of making unsubstantiated accusations of disloyalty or Communist leanings
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the use of unsupported accusations for any purpose
[after Joseph Raymond McCarthy (1908-57), US Republican senator, who led (1950-54) the notorious investigations of alleged Communist infiltration into the US government]
Are Chick-Fil-A Protests About Free Speech Or Unequal Treatment Under The Law?
It seems that when the issue of Gay Marriage becomes an a topic for discussion the loudest voices yell about free speech while the other side points out inequality towards homosexuals under the law. Which is it? What are we really in disagreement over? What happened that started this mess and what happened that perpetuated it? Let's get some facts in chronological order if possible and move forward from there.