Should homosexuals have the right to adopt?
Side Score: 35
Side Score: 6
We should not descriminate against any one because of their sexual preference with a consenting adult PERIOD. The criteria for adoption should not be based on sexual orientation - it must based on the ability of a single person or couple to provide loving, secure home for a child.
This debate was started because a heated debate I had with a friend on the subject (hopefully he will join and argue his point...hehe) Ok here's my arguments:
1) Gay parents statistically DO NOT have a discrepancy in the sexuality preference of their children as opposed to straight couple
2) Gay couples (because they are utilizing some form of planning...adoption, insemination, etc.) are more likely to WANT their children as opposed to straight parents who ACCIDENTILY have kids
3) By not allowing gay couples to have children, you are making them second class citizens because they would lack the same rights as straight people
4) Noone can say that they have no problems with homosexuality if they have problems with children growing up and becoming homosexuals themselves.
5) Not allowing the gay community to adopt leaves children with the alternative of growing up in a orphanges. Or being bounced from Foster home to foster home. Both proven unhealthy environments for children.
So you have to ask yourself WHY would you be against it:
1) Population - There is just no way that the amount of gay parents will result in a population crisis, not now, and not ever. If you are assuming that a small population, the gay community, will harbor that many "gay" children you are sadly wrong. There are more stright couples than gay couples. In fact, China, Who is only allowing families ONE child, a form of population control...is STILL having problems with controlling its population.
2) Religion - the most popular anti-gay argument, Homosexuality is against Godliness. I can't think of a more absurd argument. If you believe that the church and state should be separate entities, then you cannot agree with this argument. You can have a personal belief that homosexuality is wrong, but you couldn't vote against gay parenting and NOT be a hypocrite. Religion MUST be separate from State because Religion is based on FAITH and cannot be proved, thus treating those who disagree with religion or hold a different religion as second class citizens. Thus making this argument poor.
3) Parenting - Ah, yes, we as a society are very quick to judge how everyone should be raised. If you are going to argue that gay couples cannot have kids for fear of children being bias toward one mindset (homosexuality) then you have to stop people who raise kids with religion (its unfair that children dont have an open chance at ANY religion), people who raise children who have any political opinions (that could bias children to become republicans or democrats), people who raise children and have any other type of sexuality likes (S&M;, dressing like the opposite sex, 3 somes, etc.), AND what about children of divorce (which causes many psychological issues their children...and this is over 50% of the population). In the end, for you to not be a hypocrite, NOONE can have kids then! Bottom line is, kids will always have alot of obstacles to overcome and to assume that they couldnt handle an obstacle like homosexuality, you must assume they can't handle alcohism, divorce, religious diversity, sexual diversity, crime, politics, etc. Why on earth would you deny a child the chance of having a family and a home because of the sexual preference of the adopting parents?
I want to add to this argument by bringing up something disturbing I read in th paper today. Here is an example where your "moral" religious upbringing killed a young girl. So, they will tell you that homosexuals are unfit parents...meanwhile, these, religious...I'll say it...morons...decided to prevent their daughter from getting medical assistance for diabetes and decided to use praying instead. Now she is dead. I guess it was her time...god must have wanted her. Ok...I may be a bit out of line to blame this on religion when this is more an issue of how bad our educational system. I think (and hope) that an educated person...even a religious one, would at least use they're prayers WITH modern medicine, but the point is...there are tons of horrible things that can happen to children from all kinds of parents. Especially from those who will point their fingers at one group shouting how immoral they are and then turn around and do something even worse. Ill tell you this much, if that 11 year old was adopted by homosexuals, she may be gay (which is most likely not true...I am being sarcastic) but she would be alive!
Parents Praying kills Diabetic Daughter (www.cnn.com)
Yes, they should definitely have the right to adopt. As someone who wants to adopt in the future, I think that anyone who is fit to raise a child (whether they are heterosexual, homosexual, single, married, etc.) should be able to adopt and raise a child.
Homosexuals have every right to have children of their own (whether through artificial insemination or other means), so why not let them adopt a "pre-existing" child? With so many children needing homes and so many homosexual couples wanting to adopt, it just makes no sense to not let them adopt.
It really seems like a no-brainer... that is until religious/traditional belief that homosexuality is wrong or some sign of deviancy comes in. I'd say what people like that can go do, but I'll be polite.
Are they not people with feelings and desires just like hetrosexuals? Are they not people who can care for others, who can love just as hetrosexuals? Are they people who are educated, have well paying jobs? All these questions are answered yes just like with hetrosexuals so why shouldn't they be able to adopt.
The debate of the fact they will make the child homosexual well so what who says that is wrong the bible well here is a great debate for who can prove the bible is correct. A few things are predicted and do seem to fit the pattern of history but guess what who has proof it was written by or directed to be written by a higher power?
So as far as I can see there is no reason for a homosexual couple to adopt or have a child.
Yes, as long as the perspective parents are able to care for the children. I find nothing morally wrong with homosexuality. While I do not understand it completely, I say, so what? If you can get past the idea that it may be immoral, then all of the other arguments melt away.
Adoption is an expensive and lengthy process that establishes whether a person, couple, or family should have a(nother) child. This process generally weeds out those who are emotionally or legally unfit. So to deny them a family is to assume they are insane or criminals. There is no proof that sexual orientation is linked to sanity or criminal background. Nor is there any indication that children (biological or otherwise) of homosexuals are harmed by their parent's orientation. Therefore, homosexuals have the right to adopt.
A great deal of studies on gay parenting show that they can be as fit as heterosexual parents are and that sexual orientation alone does not affect person's capacity to be a good parent. Being adopted is a chance for an orphan to have a better life. And, from my point of view, children raised by homosexual parents are more likely to be open-minded and tolerant. So, if a loving gay couple wants to create a family and adopt a child, why not?
i do angree gay people are like any other parent an so farwd and i think that gay people should be alooud to be couples and get married an yeah i think that they could rais a kid but thats not the point what about the kid, how he or she will grow up with gay parents . how he or she would get bullied. and grow up to become gay as well. Dont need to be selfish think about the kids first. they might now think they belong like other kids do? dont you think that would make them feel alone ?
an yeah i think that they could rais a kid but thats not the point what about the kid, how he or she will grow up with gay parents
That kid will grow up with the same chances as a kid with heterosexual parents who are also a minority of some kind and face discrimination issues.
how he or she would get bullied.
Don't let an interracial couple adopt, the kid might get bullied! -_-
and grow up to become gay as well.
This is ridiculous. BUT let's just pretend you are right and gay couples raise gay kids. ....So?
By the way, who do you think gives birth to these people who "turn out" to be homosexual? It's almost certainly not the homosexuals. Reality is, more homosexual people are born from heterosexual parents.
Dont need to be selfish think about the kids first.
And I highly doubt that is what you're doing.
they might now think they belong like other kids do? dont you think that would make them feel alone ?
Ask almost any teenager and they'll answer you like this at some point in their life.
Because no democratic government should ever attempt to regulate people's reproductive rights and dictate who is or isn't allowed to have children. And unless a massive harm can be shown to the child, the government usually doesn't take children away from their parents, as that might be more harmful. But the government is allowed to define what a family is or should be, under the law.
I can't make my rubuttal without sounding offensive, so I apoligize ahead of time, but your statement "Homosexuality is wrong" is about as ignorant (by saying ignorant I mean mis-informed, not stupid...i want that to be clear) as they can come. You are seriously trying to compare the morality of homosexuality with rape?
Furthemore, You really need to re-access our adopting process again. Children are often given to foster homes (of straight people) who get paid to have these children by the government in their homes while they are subjected to physical and mental abuse and in some cases even slavery. I give props to Child Protective Services but they let a ton slip through the cracks....A TON! See the recent "Nixmary Brown" case to understand how much Child services can miss in the overall picture of child welfare.
"Otherwise, they should go through the same process that straight people do, which ."examines the parenting skills of the adults and determines if society thinks they'd be good parents "
I have no idea what you mean by this, are you suggesting that by having children naturally, you are being selected by nature as "good parents"? Or are you suggesting that society keeps a close eye on what is good parenting? Either way, you are very wrong to think that just because you are straight and "normal" that you are a good parent. Many abusive parents are straight church going people...not to mention the majority of reported spousal abuse occurs in the most relgious regions of this country.
Please don't tell me that its not religious. (especially since you follow it up by saying..."although the bible does tell us it's wrong") That's all it is! As religion is used as a tool to establish "morality" in this country. I would give your argument a ton more credibilty had you admitted to that. At least, there would be a logic to it.
I realize this sounds very hostile and for that I apologise because it wasn't meant to be. If you knew me personally you would know that. I was simply trying to point out how your argument has many holes to it.
Homosexuality is present in nearly all high-functioning species. And S&M;is common enough (to varying degrees) that it is an integral part of sexuality. And it's not about gays' parenting skills that prevents them from adopting, it's bigotry. If you believe so strongly in the wisdom of collective judgment, what about 50 years ago when blacks couldn't marry whites? People are prejudiced by nature, and don't understand people different from them. in the future hopefully you'll realize you had no right to judge homosexuals.
The "natural" argument is just nonsense. Rape and murder are natural, so we should decide for ourselves what is best, not base our decisions on what has happened before. Slavery seemed natural until it was abolished.
But if you want to go there, homosexuality is natural, it happens in most animal species.
The fact is, children learn a lot about their life by what their parents do. Often when parents are alcoholics or drug addicts, their children become alcoholics or dug addicts. Not all, but a high percentage of them. If kids grow up in a family that says being gay is alright, than that child may think that it's true and could possibly grow up to be gay themselves. The parents need to set an example to the children by teaching them the homosexuality is not a good thing and one of the best ways of doing that is by not letting gays have children.