What do you think being a human means?
Largely, I agree with your perspective. The concept of rational thought intrigues me as being potentially more complex than we commonly conceive of it being. There is a growing amount of research which indicates that our reasoning abilities are largely if not entirely pre-determined and/or post hoc rationalizations. Of course, there is something to be said for the scientific and other discoveries we can make that other animals on our planet cannot, but the elements of intention and will in that process interest me. This is not a refutation by any means, but merely a spin off from your observation.
These ROOT-WORDS are HUM & HUMAN which come from the Latin humus, meaning EARTH & GROUND and the Latin humanus which means MAN. It is interesting to follow the changes of idea here. It begins with HUMus, earth, then becomes HUMble, lowly; finally to HUMAN, Man. But we must never forget the origin of man; “Dust thou art and to dust thou must return.”
1. Humus : HUM us (hyu’ mus) n.
2. Humanities : HUMAN ities (hyu man’ i teze) n.
Studies and interests of a cultural type which enrich the spirit of mankind
3. Humate : HUM ate (hyu’ mate) n.
A salt of a humic acid
4. Exhume : ex HUM e (egz yume’) v.
Take out of the ground; unearth; disinter
5. Exhumate : ex HUM ate (eks hyu’ mate) v.
To exhume; disinter
6. Exhumation : ex HUM ation (eks hu may’ shun) n.
The act of taking out of the ground; disinterment
7. Humble : HUM ble (hum’ b’l) adj.
Lowly; unpretentious; as, an humble poerson
8. Humbly : HUM bly (hum’ blee) adv.
9. Humic : HUM ic (hyu’ mik) adj.
Derived from the soil; as, humic acid
10. Humicubation : HUM incubation (hyu mik yue bay; shun) n.
Act of lying on the ground in penitence; self abasement
11. Humility : HUM ility (hyu mil’ it ee) n.
The quality of lowliness; meekness
12. Humiliate : HUM iliate (hyu mil’ ee ate) v.
To humble; to shame; to abase
13. Humiliation : HUM iliation (hyu mil ee ay’ shun) n.
Feeling of shame; degradation
14. Human : HUMAN (hyu’ man) adj.
Belonging or relating to main
15. Humanify : HUMAN ify (hyu man’ i fie) v.
Make into a man
16. Humane : HUMAN e (hyu mane’) adj.
Marked by sympathy, compassion for other human beings and animals
17. Humanize : HUMAN ize (hyu’ma nize) v.
Make human; render humane
18. Inhuman : in HUMAN (in hyu’ man) adj.
Lacking the qualities of a humane being
19. Humanity : HUMAN ity (hyu man’ it ee) n.
The quality of being human