- All Debates
- Popular Debates
- Active Debates
- New Debates
- Open Challenge Debates
- My Challenge Debates
- Accepted Challenges
- Debate Communities
- Argument Waterfall
- New People
- People by Points
Your profile reflects your reputation, it will build itself as you create new debates, write arguments and form new relationships.
It would be a deterrent, assuming people are rational actors. But the field of economics (mostly bullshit anyway) is starting to realize that people don't always act in their own best interest. People like shitty food, so they will make room in their budget to get it.
This is even before considering the addictions to fat, salt, and sugar many people have.
I almost don't remember what you mean ;) Regarding overpopulation, I'm not quite sure how to approach it. It's a complex subject. I suppose I'll start with energy consumption.
The amount of energy humans consume per capita is excessively high, in comparison to survival needs. Food is often transported for hundreds or thousands of miles before consumption. Industrial subsidies keep afloat incredibly inefficient methods and transactions, which all ultimately serve to shuffle and concentrate wealth into the middlemen. All the while, most countries look at population control as inhumane, as if making progeny were a right. The graph above indicates that if our population isn't sustainable now, it will certainly be soon.
1. Reread my argument. You did not respond to it.
2. "Do with it what you will." Uh, okay. It's completely ridiculous, unless you have some way to back it up.
3. On the scale we're consuming our resources, we're far less like a predator and more like a parasite that kills its host. That would be legitimate, if there were any other hosts.
1. The idea that you can only find sufficient protein in meat is propaganda, courtesy of the meat industry. Read about the China Study for more on that, and on dairy.
2. The world would be overrun? What, chickens are going to organize and march on our capitols? Explain to me exactly what you mean by that.
3. "If they can do it, why not us?" They eat meat to survive. We eat meat because we like it, not because we need it. Humans are extremely overpopulated thanks to medicine and other lifespan-increasing advances. If we want to stay overpopulated, we need to consume less.
Please. Bullshit is entertainment done in the style of a documentary. And their research is far from reliable. I like the show, but that is not evidence.
Also, points for your first sentence. Laughable, like if I were to say, "I would disprove you thoroughly, but I know that will only make you more stubborn."
Forgot to mention they're right on about Gandhi, though, if a bit unforgiving. The guy is suddenly a hack because he's not flawless?